Saturday, May 3, 2014

Envelope System




The many times we've attempted to do Dave Ramsey's plan we have used the envelope system, but it never seems to stick.  Either we run out of money for groceries and begin to debit or we just don't want to be strict.  Honestly!  It sucks!  Living on a budget!  Only spending the allowed amount!  BOO!   Hubby gets paid again on the 13th and I'm going to take money out for groceries.  The gas envelope, well I'm just not sure that could work.  Who carpools anyway?  My kids take the bus, and we don't just drive to town for fun.  Usually we have to be somewhere.  When I was on Dave Ramsey's blog I read this:

You must remember that the very purpose of the envelope system is to curb your spending and teach you discipline. When you run out of grocery money, you eat leftovers instead of going food shopping. If you see your gas money is slipping away faster than the remaining days of the month, then limit your trips or even carpool.

Dave Ramsey

Since we started selling things and paying off the debt I have become more conscious of my spending.   Over the last 2 weeks, I spent $134 on groceries, which is really good for a family of 6.  Our pantry and fridge are looking a little empty so I may need to stock up on some things for the week over the weekend.  Also, over the last 2 weeks, I've spent $23 on eating out.  This also is really good for me ;)  Now, the hubby, I've looked at his banking over the last two weeks and he can be sneaky.  When he does side work & gets paid in cash he likes to keep it and keep things from me (like eating out or buying something he needs).  He also spent about $60 on groceries out of his account.  I'm going to work on a grocery budget & get things lined up for a grocery envelope in the next week or so and find out if we can successfully work the system. We have to keep reminding ourselves that we are trying to teach ourselves discipline!  

No comments:

Post a Comment